Makes 30 bars
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (I actually used Buttery Sweet Dough Bakery Emulsion
- 5 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- orange and yellow food coloring
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
How to Make
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Line a 9×13 baking dish with foil and spray lightly with baking spray. Set aside.
- In your stand mixer cream butter and sugar until fluffy and light, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined, scraping sides when necessary.
- Turn mixer to low and add in salt, baking soda and flour. Beat until combined.
- Divide the batter in half and color half orange and half yellow.
- Layer the orange dough in first, spreading to edges of pan and top with yellow dough, carefully pressing evenly on top of orange.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Beat the butter and shortening together until smooth. Turn mixer to low and add in powdered sugar and milk. Turn mixer up to medium and beat for about 1 minute until fluffy and smooth.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled bars and cut into triangle shaped bars.
*If you are not layering the colors like I did, you can bake these in a 13×18 “jelly roll” pan for a thinner cookie bar. If you do this, you will need to increase the frosting by one half, so will have enough to spread over the entire pan. Recipe adapted from Recipe Girl
Visit Go Au Pair at http://www.goaupair.com