- 2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon zest
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 2 juicy lemons), divided
- 36 drops yellow food coloring, divided (see Cooks’ Notes)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh orange zest
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice (from two small oranges)
- 9 drops red food coloring (see Cooks’ Notes)
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- Special equpment: 12 (3-ounce) frozen pop molds; 12 wooden frozen pop sticks, if using molds that require them
Put one can of milk in each of 2 bowls, then whisk lemon zest, 1/3 cup lemon juice, and 18 drops yellow food coloring into one bowl.
Whisk orange zest, orange juice, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and remaining 18 drops yellow and 9 drops red food coloring into second bowl.
Beat cream in another bowl with an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks, then gently fold half of cream into each condensed milk mixture.
Divide orange mixture among the molds, about 2 1/2 tablespoons per mold, then freeze until firm, at least 30 minutes.
Divide lemon mixture among molds, about 2 1/2 tablespoons per mold.
Place cover on molds and insert sticks, making sure they are straight (important for removing top when unmolding). Freeze until completely firm, at least 8 hours.
If using a multiple-pop mold, partially submerge up to 1/4 inch from top of mold in a large bowl or sink of room-temperature water for 30 seconds. Remove mold from water, then remove cover and pull out pops.
If using individual molds, run hot water over them for about 5 seconds, then let stand 30 seconds and remove cover.
In either case, serve immediately or wrap individually in plastic wrap and freeze until ready to serve.
This Halloween Recipe was spotted in Epicurious.
Visit Go Au Pair at http://www.goaupair.com