This month, Go Au Pair’s Featured Country is Panama. That means that you get $100 off your fee when you welcome an Au Pair from Panama into your home! Here are some interesting “fun-facts” about Panama:
- Panama is the only place in the world where you can see the sun rise on the Pacific and set on the Atlantic.
- The canal generates fully one-third of Panama’s entire economy.
- “A man a plan a canal panama” is a palindrome.
- Panama was the first Latin American country to adopt the U.S. currency as its own.
- The population of Panama in 2003 was estimated by the United Nations at 3,120,000, which placed it as number 129 in population among the 193 nations of the world, and the smallest population in Central America.
- The cargo ship Ancon was the first vessel to transit the Canal on August 15, 1914.
- The lowest toll paid was $0.36 and was paid by Richard Halliburton who crossed the Canal swimming in 1928.
- Seven out of ten Panamanians haven’t heard of the song “Panama” by Van Halen.
- Senator John McCain was born in Panama, in the Canal Zone that was, at the time considered U.S. Territory.
- The Panama Hat is really made in Ecuador.
- In Panama, you can swim in the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean in the same day.
- The oldest continually operating railroad is in Panama. It travels from Panama City to Colon and back.
- Panama City is the only capital city that has a rain forest within the city limits.
These facts are from Barefoot Panama.
Click here to view available Au Pairs from Go Au Pair.
Visit Go Au Pair at http://www.goaupair.com